- Level: A1, A2, B1
- Handout: free Google docs
- Language focus: modal auxiliaries, daily actions, action verbs
- Media: video
Can kindness make you happy? Altruism was a hotly debated topic in my philosophy classes. For instance, if we do something nice, and it makes us happy, are we doing it for ourselves or for others? This question put my thoughts in a bit of an impossible loop, so I would tune out and focus on the symbiotic relationship between acts of kindness and our own personal happiness. In other words, if it makes the other person happy and it makes me happy too, then who cares about the rest…it’s win win.
So what are the things you do for others that bring light into your life? What could you do? Aryasb Feiz’s animated short “Mr. Indifferent”, deals with this very topic. As I was watching the wordless video, the first thought that came to me is what a great way to practice modal auxiliaries.
There is very little first language video material that can work in a lower level ESL class, so I like to use these animated short to concentrate on the actions. The authenticity of the video usually motivates the students to talk–with whatever words they have. Authenticity is magic.
That is what this lesson provides. I included a little printable handout to help note down some of the key vocabulary.
- What do you do for other people that makes you happy?
- Do you volunteer?
- What could you do?
The video: Mr. Indifferent by Aryasb Feiz’s
- Use the handout to help collect some words and expressions.
- What is it about kindness that makes us happy?
- Why do we forget, or chose not to bother?
- What are some small, no money required, acts kindness we could do to brighten our lives?
Let me know how the discussions turn out.